The Lyttelton Times was the first newspaper in Canterbury. The newspaper was first published as a weekly edition in January 1851, shortly after the First Four Ships to Lyttelton arrived to establish the planned settlement of Canterbury. It became a daily newspaper in 1863 and finally closed in 1935.
The Lyttelton Times was the main newspaper in the pioneer colony of Canterbury, where it rapidly became the ‘settlers' newspaper’.
The CD also contains some entries from other South Island newspapers.