Saddle Hill on the eastern margin of Mosgiel identifies Mosgiel and its history. Captain James Cook on his ‘discovery’ journey in February 1770 noted the hill formation as being like a saddle.  In the next century it was named by settlers as ‘Saddle Hill’.  It was also well known to local Maori: in their legend the taniwha known as Matamata wriggled down the Taieri river and died, to become the coastal hills ‘including Saddle Hill’. (Accessed 11th August 2015 from Mosgiel)



2.00pm, third Saturday of each month, February - November 



Mosgiel Methodist Church Hall, Wickliffe Street, Mosgiel


Branch Library

Open:  2nd & 4th Tuesdays,  1.00 – 3.00 pm or at other times by arrangement.

Drop In Centre at Mosgiel Public Library

Open:  1st & 3rd Mondays,   from 11.00 - 1.00 pm.



Irene Patterson

8 Flower Street, Fairfield,  Dunedin 9018

Ph:  03 488 3632

Email:  Mosgiel